Tuesday 25 September 2012

Lilac Love Wedding Party Dress - Finished!


Ta Dah!  It's done!  Ok so it was actually finished a  long time ago and the wedding has happened and my lovely friends are on honeymoon in Vietnam as we speak!  But still.  Life has got crazy busy, both jobs have extra hours going and I haven't really had time to do much other than sleep and eat.  te next project might take a while.

Anyways, I got the dress done and I wore it to the fabulous wedding of my friends Em and Mark.  It really was a lovely day and the grooms speech was hilarious and moving at the same time.  I was really worried that the heart net would be too poofy for the dress and I would feel silly but it is actually fine and I shouldn't have felt self concious about it looking at these photos.
Side
Originally I was going to add a lilac ribbon at the waist, as per the inspiration picture but when I tried it, it just looked a bit too matchy-matchy.  The I thought cream or white would be better so dug through my stash and all I had was a cream lace I got from Hobbycraft a while ago.  I tried that and bingo!
Wonky lace!
It's not my best zip, it pulls at the waist, I think there is too much bulk there to get the stitches really close to the zipper.  The lace is wonky too.  I can't ever seem to get waist bands to match up!  I could easily have remedied this one but didn't notice until I had sewn the zip in, and there was no way I was taking it out again!  Maybe wonky waists are my signature!
Front

Back
I love how the neck ties came out, I find it suits my body shape and I don't worry about it falling down all time.  I don't really have any photos of me wearing it unfortunately,  I did find one from the brides mother, though it is not the best pic.
With my handsome boyfriend
I wore my amazing purple shoes for the church and most of the ceremony until the dancing got under way when I cracked out my flats as I just can't last in heels.
1 outift, 2 pairs of shoes!
Finally here is a gorgeous picture of the bride and groom.  The brides dress and the bridesmaids dresses were made by her very talented mum!  Isn't that pink colour fantastic?

7 comments:

  1. Such a pretty dress. You did a wonderful job making it.

    The thing I've always liked about sewing my own clothes is that I can style them to suit my tastes and in the process have a one of a kind outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I love being able to take inspiration and adjust it to suit my shape.

      Delete
  2. What an adorable dress and those shoes are fantastic! I've never been very good at sewing clothes so I'm very impressed by your abilities! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still feel I am very much a beginner but I like to challenge myself and learn as I go along.

      Delete
  3. I'm a beginner sewer, so this project really inspires me! Such a cute dress. I recently made my first skirt - - it's so fun to be able to wear something you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad to be an inspiration! That makes me smile! A skirt is a great place to start, I don't get much time to sew so each piece I make is really special to me.

      Delete
  4. Aww and didnt you look sweet, that dress is great! Hadnt realised you made it when I saw you. But I should have figured!
    Daisy Dayz

    ReplyDelete