Monday 2 January 2012

Burda Style December 2011

 I don't think I am exaggerating in saying that I think this is my favourite issue of Burda Style this year.  It even beats the June issue which was my favourite for vintage style dresses so far but December is bursting with gorgeousness. 
Dress 107
The first magazine section is called Time to Shine and this pastel pink dress is on the first page and I really love it.  The pin tucked bodice detail and the fluttery sleeves are really pretty and I actually love the colour even though it is not something I would choose on my own.  
Dress 102
There is a lot of clashing red and pink in this section but it actually works really well on this dress which is a simple tunic style but made luxurious with the fabrics used.  It works really well in crepe satin here but it could also be made in a cotton print for spring too.  
Coat 104
An extremely impractical white coat but it is just so chic.  If you only wore it for special occasions then it would keep its icy whiteness.  I totally love the humongous pockets on it too. 
Blouse 106 A
The blouse version of the first pastel dress with a contrasting waist band and puffy voluminous sleeves is really gorgeous in crepe de chine.  I fancy making this in a peach chiffon fabric as I have wanted a blouse in that colour for a while now after seeing them in the shops.  I do not like how they have paired it with the long skirt here though, it would work with a pencil skirt but the weird mid shin length just looks off.  
Skirt 155
I skipped the faux fur section, just not me, but I actually like this DIY idea for a skirt with a pearl belt and the satin strip bandeaux dress.  These are not fully made from a pattern but usually an alteration you can make to a shop bought item.
Dress 154
Cute for Christmas parties no?  Love the little bit of lace at the hemline.
Dress 123
That heading simply sums up this dress in my opinion.  This has to be Burda Styles version of Keira Knightly's green Atonement dress and I adore it.  If I had a reason to wear a full length ballgown this would be the one I would choose.
Similar to this stunning Atonement creation
Dress 120
There is also this stunning green creation with sleeves that would work for a winter party and a stunning cross over tie in the centre that really adds something to the dress as well as giving it a really flattering fit on the bust.  
Dress 129
I am also swooning over this minty green number.  I am a great fan of tulle at the moment and it looks great twisted up to make an interesting strap on this one.  I also love how the little train puddles on the floor behind her, it doesn't show this in the illustration but on the model it is fab.  Again I wouldn't normally pick this colour but I think it looks gorgeous.  
Skirt 124
This skirt from Like Tintin & Snowy looks suspiciously like the red woolen one from last months issue, but I love the pleats anyway though I am not sure I will be making one in leather like the picture.

Dress 132 B
I couldn't really find anything I didn't like that much in this magazine but I do think this plus dress would do very little for a lady of a fuller figure.  I don't understand why magazines repeatedly suggest drapy sack-like outfits for someone who is over a size 12 as they tend to just not be flattering at all.  I say empire line all the way to hide my tummy heehee!  Anyway, I loved this issue and I woudl recommend getting it if you like party dresses and glamour. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved the december edition so much too! I want to make almost everything :D and I made the 'Atonement' lookalike dress for a gala I was attending :D it's soooo pretty and I got so many compliments on it :D If you ever have an occasion, you should definitely make this one!
    Love your projects by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo I am going to try and check out your blog now, I hope you have pictures of your dress! I would love to make that dress if I have the occasion!

      Delete