Thursday 11 August 2011

Burda Style August 2011

 This is a slight bug bear I have with fashion magazines in general but why does AUGUST's issue have  AUTUMN fashions on it?  To me August is still summer and I will never understand why magazines have trends and fashions a few months in advance.  I know it has always happened but I don't really want to look at autumn trends when I am still making summer dresses.  It is depressing. 

Anyway, after that rant this month actually has some fantastic items in it!  This month had a section called '50's Revival which I was really looking forward to but wasn't quite what I expected.  Don't get me wrong there are some lovely pieces but I was looking forward to a full-skirted swing dresses.  Let me show you the goodies though.
A pretty pastel dress with a high neck and gather in the front neckline and sweet little capped sleeves.  I could imagine this subtle colours as work wear though the high neck at the front doesn't always look great on me.  Next is two fab pencil skirts.  I like them both so they have both ended up here.
This knit grey pencil skirt looks really sophisticated and a pencil skirt is something I have wanted to make for myself for a while.  I would really like to wear one to work but I don't know if my job is a bit too active for this type of skirt.
The second skirt is similar but has a front pleat and and a houndstooth fabric.  I think this is the more dressy version and I can imagine it in a slinky black or plum satin for a evening out.
I am in love with these Quiet Mood high waisted trousers.  I love the line of buttons up the side and the slim bootleg flare, yummy!  I am not so keen on the fabric used, I like the colour but for some reason it is jersey which I don't think matches the smartness of the trousers.  I would love to make some in slate grey or dark navy denim or some other denim weight fabric.
The Mix & Match section has this fantastic jacket which looks warm as well as it being chock full of military styling.  The top underneath is also one of the Burda offerings and looks great with this jacket.  I am very scared of sewing jackets and coats, they look so difficult, have so many different tailoring techniques that I haven't learnt yet.  One day I will try and conquer my fear!
How cute is this little skirt?  It is a wraparound and there is actually a step-by-step sewing tutorial on this.  I really like the herringbone they have used which is quite wintery but I reckon you could use printed cotton for summer too.
I also like these shorts.  There is not a good picture of them but they are made from the same pattern as the high-waisted trousers I liked previously.  The green cord is not something I would have thought of for shorts but I really like the texture and would make them last through the winter.  Maybe making these would be a good lead into trousers which I have yet to try.
 I don't crochet or knit but how lovely are these little flowers?  I may have to send the pattern for these to my friend who has recently taken up knitting and made me a scarf for Christmas this year.

Finally, my 'what were you thinking?' pattern, there was a coat which I liked the front of but just had far too much fabric in the back so that I think it would make you look like a kite if the wind caught it.  But in the end, I went for this little beauty.  We all want leggings that make us look like we have pony hooves for feet right?
Hmm what do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment